Saturday, December 1, 2007

The long goodbye

Instead of another pleasant end of year music recital last Wednesday night I was treated to a "Night on the Titanic", with all sorts of special treats and surprises to mark the end of my time at Wanniassa School (only three weeks to go). 
The first surprise was to see J&J & baby Ella arriving; something they had kept secret from me. Ella made it almost until the end of a noisy night's entertainment. What a thrill for me!

Band members were all dressed in the Titanic theme. They played all my favourites: Ancient Voices, Latino Melancholia and a special surprise just for me: "Summertime"

Ann H. played Queen Ann all night with a wonderfully clever speech about my contribution to the school - all with a ship theme.

Marian and his beautiful Ivana sang "Hallelujah" just for me. Rob had requested it (in secret) on my behalf. Jody had acted as the go between. Ivana's performance brought tears to everyone, especially me!

I have never seen a bigger, more beautiful bunch of flowers. I was overcome by the night and everyone's thoughtfulness. I will never forget it!

Barely time to recover and we are off down to Rosedale Saturday for our annual lobster dinner...... It rains heavily driving down the Clyde Mt. Visibility is poor but we never complain about the rain.
Think of the 8,000 people who sat out the open air Elton John Concert on Friday night for three hours in pouring rain.
The Le... kids have grown up a lot since we last saw them in June.....must be their adventure filled lives.

Thomas and Lucy have grown very tall and are looking and acting very mature now. Chef Jane prepares a magnificent kid friendly meal for them all - lots of calamari tonight, but I think they are most impressed with the chocolate M&M mousse for dessert.

It is Maxie's birthday. We celebrate with our favourite Marjella, luscious calamari, fresh south coast oysters, lobster, fattoush and cous cous and orange salads and a frozen mascapone and strawberry cake for dessert with fantastic wines (Riesling and Sauv Blanc.) to accompany each course. End off the meal with a De Bortoli Botrytis and one of Bruce's cafe standard coffees.

Chef Jane took this picture of our magic evening with friends at Rosedale.

The possums ran riot in the trees around our dining area. They were so brazen I thought they were going to jump on the table at one stage!

This is the view from the deck on a warm sunny morning. Breakfast is a very leisurely affair after a long walk around the rocky headland and beautiful Rosedale beach. Maggie the Jack Russel cross provides lots of entertainment on the walk.

2 comments:

davey said...

How lovely that everyone masterminded a theatrical send off for you Judy. Never knew that Hallelujah was a favourite, the Jeff Buckley version?

Your Rosedale catered dinner of lobster and prawns had me slavering at my unrefined chops. Mum mentioned that we might try to get down there when I am next in town? Hopefully the dates will coincide correctly. Fresh prawns in London are as you might imagine, quite hard to come by.

Judy P said...

I actually prefer the kd lang version...a Canadian singing a song from a Canadian composer!

When might you be next in town so we can think about a selection of possible weekends?